wxPython vs Glade?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 9 08:34:12 EST 2009

Michael Pobega wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions on the best toolkit for a beginner to use with
> wxPython. It doesn't necessarily need to be the most efficient toolkit,
> but something I can use for basic programs (a Twitter client, Wordpress
> blogging client, etc) just to learn Python.
>
> wxWidgets seems nice because it's portable, but I'm not sure how many of
> my libraries are portable (a lot of them seem to import os), while Glade
> seems extremely simple to make a UI (but does the program end up relying
> on Glade? Or can I build it directly into GTK+?)

There's something called PythonCard built on top of wxPython that's
fairly newb-friendly, though it gets clunkier as your demands grow.

You might also want to look at Dabo, which is a much more comprehensive
framework that also hides much of wxPython's complexity.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119