Python DLL's for C++?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 10 15:19:28 EST 2009

> Is it possible to write DLL's in Python for applications that only
> provide C++ interfaces?  Example: NotePad++ is extendible by writing C++
> DLL's which can call the NotePad++ interfaces.

Not directly, no. You have to write a C++ DLL which then can delegate
all calls to it to some Python function, and likewise expose Notepad++
API to Python.

> I wonder if those DLL's also can be written in Python, which in the end
> calls the C++ interfaces of NotePad++...

The actual logic can be in Python, but you do need a C++ wrapper module.

OTOH, if Notepad++ would also support COM/ActiveX plugins, then those
could directly be written in Python (assuming the COM interfaces
supported automation).

Regards,
Martin