pySerial help please!

bmaschino at gmail.com bmaschino at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:14:02 EST 2009

Hello all,

I am very new to Python and I am using it because I needed an easy
language to control a piece of equipment that connects to my computer
via a serial cable. I am running Python 2.6 with pySerial 2.4 under
Windows. I can get Python to create a serial port on COM1, but when I
try to write to the device, nothing happens. Here is an example:

import serial
ser = serial.Serial(0)
ser.write("otpm 2 16 0")
ser.close()

If I connect to the device in Hyperterminal the device will behave as
expected when I give it the command 'otpm 2 16 0' but not in Python. I
have confirmed Python is actually controlling the port because
Hyperterminal will not open the port while Python has it open,
although I have not been able to try a loopback connector as of yet.
Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Bryce