optparse versus getopt

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:19:45 EST 2009

On 2009-02-10 15:06, Matthew Sacks wrote:
> does anyone have any arguments against optparse vs getopt

As the getopt docs say: "A more convenient, flexible, and powerful alternative
is the optparse module."

I have found all three statements to be true.

But I've found argparse to be even better. The main reason is that argparse will
help you parse, verify and generate help text for positional arguments in
addition to --options.

   http://argparse.python-hosting.com/
   http://argparse.python-hosting.com/wiki/ArgparseVsOptparse

--