zlib interface semi-broken

Tue Feb 10 17:33:35 EST 2009

Paul Rubin wrote:
> Travis <travis+ml-python at subspacefield.org> writes:
>> However, perhaps this would be a good time to discuss how [zlib] works...
> It is missing some other features too, like the ability to preload
> a dictionary.  I'd support extending the interface.

The trick to defining a preload interface is avoiding creating a brittle
interface -- the saved preload should be usable across machines and
versions.  I suspect that is why such an interface never came up (If
you can clone states, then you can say: "compress this, then use the
resultant state to compress/decompress others."  Suddenly there is no
nasty problem guessing what to parameterize and what to fix in stone.

--Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org