Who's on First, IDLE or pythonWin? Dialog Problem?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 11:44:55 EST 2009

On Feb 11, 10:28 am, "W. eWatson" <notval... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> My program in IDLE bombed with:
> ==============
> Exception in Tkinter callback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1403, in __call__
>      return self.func(*args)
>    File
> "C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
> line 552, in OperationalSettings
>      dialog = OperationalSettingsDialog( self.master, set_loc_dict )
>    File
> "C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
> line 81, in __init__
>      tkSimpleDialog.Dialog.__init__(self, parent)
>    File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\tkSimpleDialog.py", line 69, in __init__
>      self.wait_visibility() # window needs to be visible for the grab
>    File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 415, in wait_visibility
>      self.tk.call('tkwait', 'visibility', window._w)
> TclError: window ".34672232" was deleted before its visibility changed
> ===============
> It runs fine in pythonWin performing the same entry operation. Open a menu,
>   select an item to open a dialog, select a select button in the dialog,
> press OK to leave the dialog. Boom, as above.
>
> (This does not mean pythonWin doesn't have problems of its own. ) If I just
> execute the code (double click on the py file, the console shows no
> problems. IDLE is unhappy.
>
> Another side to this is that I use WinMerge to find differences between my
> last saved copy and the current copy. I found the current copy had two lines
> where a abc.get() was changed to abc.get. This was undoubtedly from briefly
> using the pyWin editor, when I mis-hit some keys. Yet pyWin had no trouble
> executing the program. My guess is that while briefly editing there, I hit
> some odd combination of keys that produced, perhaps, an invisible character
> that pyWin ignores.
>
> Not the 34672232 window is a dialog that I closed by pressing OK. I would
> again guess, that, if there is a problem, it occurs in the code that
> destroys the dialog.
>
> --
>                                 W. eWatson
>
>               (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>                Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>
>                      Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>

You don't really say what your code does or if it uses a GUI toolkit
and if so, which one. But my guess is that you are using some kind of
GUI and its GUI and IDLE's are clashing somehow. I see this sort of
thing with some of my wxPython programs from time to time, although
IDLE usually just crashes with no error message.

I would recommend using the command line or something that can open it
in a completely separate process, such as Wingware's IDE.

Mike