Who's on First, IDLE or pythonWin? Dialog Problem?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 11 11:48:49 EST 2009

W. eWatson wrote:
> My program in IDLE bombed with:
> ==============
> Exception in Tkinter callback
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1403, in __call__
>     return self.func(*args)
>   File
> "C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
> line 552, in OperationalSettings
>     dialog = OperationalSettingsDialog( self.master, set_loc_dict )
>   File
> "C:\Sandia_Meteors\New_Sentinel_Development\Sentuser_Utilities_Related\sentuser\sentuserNC25-Dev4.py",
> line 81, in __init__
>     tkSimpleDialog.Dialog.__init__(self, parent)
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\tkSimpleDialog.py", line 69, in __init__
>     self.wait_visibility() # window needs to be visible for the grab
>   File "C:\Python25\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 415, in wait_visibility
>     self.tk.call('tkwait', 'visibility', window._w)
> TclError: window ".34672232" was deleted before its visibility changed
> ===============
> It runs fine in pythonWin performing the same entry operation. Open a
> menu,  select an item to open a dialog, select a select button in the
> dialog, press OK to leave the dialog. Boom, as above.
>
> (This does not mean pythonWin doesn't have problems of its own. ) If I
> just execute the code (double click on the py file, the console shows no
> problems. IDLE is unhappy.
>
> Another side to this is that I use WinMerge to find differences between
> my last saved copy and the current copy. I found the current copy had
> two lines where a abc.get() was changed to abc.get. This was undoubtedly
> from briefly using the pyWin editor, when I mis-hit some keys. Yet pyWin
> had no trouble executing the program. My guess is that while briefly
> editing there, I hit some odd combination of keys that produced,
> perhaps, an invisible character that pyWin ignores.
>
> Not the 34672232 window is a dialog that I closed by pressing OK. I
> would again guess, that, if there is a problem, it occurs in the code
> that destroys the dialog.

Well you have to remember that you are trying to run a windowed GUI
under the control of another windows GUI, so it isn't surprising that
you hit trouble.

With IDLE the issue will be that IDLE already created a main window
before your program started running. With PythonWin you are using two
different toolkits, so it isn't really surprising that breaks down -
there will be two entirely separate main loops competing with each other.

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119