Break large file down into multiple files

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Feb 13 06:38:06 EST 2009

> New to python.... I have a large file that I need to break up
> into multiple smaller files. I need to break the large file
> into sections where there are 65535 lines and then write those
> sections to seperate files.  I am familiar with opening and
> writing files, however, I am struggling with creating the
> sections and writing the different sections to their own
> files.

While this thread has offered many nice Python solutions, the
"split" command is pretty standard on most Linux boxes:

   bash$ split -l 65535 infile.txt

which will do what you describe.  You can read the man page for
more details.

So if you just want a fast route to a goal rather than going
through the learning process (I'm all for learning how to do it
too), this may be a quick answer.

-tkc