Upgrading standard library module

Jason Scheirer jason.scheirer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 16:52:07 EST 2009

On Feb 13, 12:42 pm, Bryan <bryanv... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Python v2.5.2 server running and I found some undesirable
> behavior in the xmlrpclib module that is included with that version of
> Python.  The xmlrpclib version that is included with Python 2.6
> changes the behavior for the better.  I nervous about upgrading my
> Python install to 2.6 on this server because I remember reading in the
> docs of a library I use that it targets the 2.5 branch.  What is the
> best way to only upgrade the xmlrpclib in my 2.5 install?
>
> Also, have you all had problems with libraries not specifying which
> Python version they target?  I can't find a requirements for the
> formencode library.  It is kind of scary upgrading my Python server
> install without being sure all my libraries will work.  Experiences??
>
> Bryan

Python has always been pretty backwards-compatible and has a nice
roadmap for upgrades (with new languages features living in __future__
for a version or so before they're in the main version). With the
exception of 2.X->3, you can usually assume that any pure-Python
modules written for 2.x will work in 2.(x+1), and assuming they don't
issue any warnings, also in 2.(x+2).

What behavior, exactly, do you not like in xmlrpclib? Diffing the 2.5
and 2.6, only significant differences I see are checks for True/False
as builtins left over from pre-2.4 and some datetime handling.