Can Python serial support run at 45.45 baud?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Feb 14 11:33:58 EST 2009

On 2009-02-14, John Nagle <nagle at animats.com> wrote:

> Can Python's serial port support be made to run at 45.45 baud,
> the old "60 speed" Teletype machine speed?

If your hardware and OS supports it, Python can be made to
support it.

> I've restored a Model 15 teletype from WWII.

Fun.  I worked with one of those in school back in the day.

> Works great after cleaning, oiling, and adjustment.  There's
> Perl support for this, and a Perl program
> ("http://www.buzbee.net/heavymetal") that runs the things. I'd
> like to do something similar in Python, both on Windows and
> Linux.

OK, go ahead.

> I'm proposing to use Python 2.6, PyWin32-212, and PySerial
> 2.4. The PySerial interface allows requesting a specific baud
> rate, but does that propagate properly all the way down into
> Windows?

Good question.  Since you're the one with the hardware, you'll
have to tell us.  If it doesn't work, it should be trivial to
fix.  Just tell us what mechanism is used by Perl, and we'll
either fix pyserial or tell you how to do so.

> And what about Linux, where the "stty" interface is quite
> different?

Same answer.

--
Grant