illegal list name

Sandra Quiles sandraqu at silverica.com
Sun Feb 15 19:24:29 EST 2009

Hello. I have followed the instructions of a post on Installing
mailman on OS X 10.4, and got to step 7 and hit this error.

The hard- and software involved is: OS X 10.4.x, Python 2.3.5, Mailman
2.1.5 (using this outdated version because I don't know how to upgrade
Python despite going to the Python site.  It wasn't obvious to me
which Linux package was an upgrade, and the installation of MacPython
2.6.1 was not recognized by Terminal).

So. illegal name error. it list listname as 'mailman@<mycomputername>'

that's in response to the 'bin/newlist mailman' command

also, I purchased the Postfix Enabler, but have no clue what to do
with the software.

Tips, advise, hand-holding welcomed.

-- sandra