Will multithreading make python less popular?

rushenaly at gmail.com rushenaly at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 04:34:34 EST 2009

Hi everybody,
I am an engineer. I am trying to improve my software development
abilities. I have started programming with ruby. I like it very much
but i want to add something more. According to my previous research i
have designed a learning path for myself. It's like something below.
      1. Ruby (Mastering as much as possible)
      2. Python (Mastering as much as possible)
      3. Basic C++ or Basic Java
And the story begins here. As i search on the net,  I have found that
because of the natural characteristics of python such as GIL, we are
not able to write multi threaded programs. Oooops, in a kind of time
with lots of cpu cores and we are not able to write multi threaded
programs. That is out of fashion. How a such powerful language doesn't
support multi threading. That is a big minus for python. But there is
something interesting, something like multi processing. But is it a
real alternative for multi threading. As i searched it is not, it
requires heavy hardware requirements (lots of memory, lots of cpu
power). Also it is not easy to implement, too much extra code...

After all of that, i start to think about omiting python from my
carrier path and directly choosing c++ or java. But i know google or
youtube uses python very much. How can they choose a language which
will be killed by multi threading a time in near future. I like python
and its syntax, its flexibility.

What do you think about multi threading and its effect on python. Why
does python have such a break and what is the fix. Is it worth to make
investment of time and money to a language it can not take advantage
of multi cores?

Thank you...
Rushen