Will multithreading make python less popular?

seb.binet at gmail.com seb.binet at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 11:25:41 EST 2009

hi there,

[snip]
> Google uses Processes for the Tabs in Chrome, because that way they get
> around many Memory Management Problems they would have with Threads or with
> a singlethreaded reactor. Using Processes is not per se a bad Idea. You pay
> a bit with Memory and CPU but in many situations you get a much simpler
> programming model.

note also that one can bet on things like KSM [1] to further improve
the memory situation.

For example, we are investigating its use in the large (read heavy)
application frameworks at CERN where the typical vmem footprint is
~2Gb.
Running KSM together with a multiprocessing-based event loop manager,
we
managed to overcommit ~300% of the memory (ie: run 3 instances of our
application on a 2Gb-per-core machine)

cheers,
sebastien

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/306642