Will multithreading make python less popular?

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Tue Feb 17 06:38:43 EST 2009

rushenaly at gmail.com a écrit :
(snip)
> And the story begins here. As i search on the net,  I have found that
> because of the natural characteristics of python such as GIL, we are
> not able to write multi threaded programs.

I'm surprised no one here corrected that point yet, so here we go: yes,
Python does support multithreading. The fact that threads won't be
executed concurrently on a multicore machine (due to the GIL) is a
different problem (cf Andrew Cooke's answer on this - and his advice to
study Erlang if you want to do concurrent programming).