This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 17:44:13 EST 2009

On 18/02/2009 5:49 AM, Sam Clark wrote:
> I am receiving the message "This application has failed to start because
> the application configuration is incorrect" when I attempt to run a
> compiled Python program on another machine. I have used py2exe on both a
> 2.6.1 and a 2.6.0 version of the .py and .pyw files. Everything works
> great on the machine where Python 2.6 is loaded, but fails on machines
> where I copy the .exe to the machine. I'm a beginner at python
> programming. In fact this is my first packaged program. Any thoughts at
> a beginners level would be helpful.

This will be due to the C runtime library not being installed correctly
on the target machine.  Python 2.6 has this problem more than earlier
versions (due to the compiler used to build it) and the best way to
address it isn't really clear yet unless you are willing to have them
install these libraries via another Microsoft supplied installer.
Probably the easiest workaround is to use Python 2.5 in the short term...

Mark