SVN/CVS and Branching

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Thu Feb 19 07:57:37 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:10 AM, Jeff Dyke <jeff.dyke at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fair enough.  Say my project is called foo, and it has many
> submodules.  So there are imports that may look like `import foo.bar`
> or `from foo.bar import baz`, if i change the top level directory, it
> is no longer foo and then those imports do not work as originally
> written.  The way i currently do this  is to create a branch, say
> foo2, and create a symbolic link named foo pointing at foo2, after
> renaming foo, when i want to work on the branch and remove the link
> when i want to work on the head.  This actually works fine, but
> thought there may be a better way.
>
> Jeff

I think that your project structure is faulty. In Subversion I do
something like:

* FooProject/trunk/foo
* FooProject/branches/TRY-foo2

TRY-foo2 is an svn cp of trunk so checking out TRY-foo2 gives you a
TRY-foo2 directory containing a foo package. My DVCS projects go
essentially the same thing.

--
David
http://www.traceback.org