Porting to new Python version

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 19 08:10:02 EST 2009

Gabor Urban wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a tough issue: we are using a Python application written quite
> a time ago for version 2.4. The code is mature, and there are no bugs.
>  My bosses came up with the idea to port it to the latest release... I
> am not really convinced that it's a good step.
>
> I wellcome any information pro and contra. I would like to get the
> background as precisely as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance and good day to You!

As long as you don't plan to migrate to 3.0 you may well be surprised at
how easy the port is. Python's backwards compatibility has been pretty
good. Moving to 3.0 will demand more thought and testing.

One might ask what the advantages are supposed to be, of course, but
generally bosses aren't interested in explaining themselves ...

regards
 Steve
--
Steve Holden        +1 571 484 6266   +1 800 494 3119