Will multithreading make python less popular?

Paul Rubin http
Thu Feb 19 17:11:31 EST 2009

Falcolas <garrickp at gmail.com> writes:
> That's fair, but by using a high level language in the first place,
> you've already made the conscious decision to sacrifice speed for ease
> of programming. Otherwise, you would probably be programming in C.

That Python is so much slower than C is yet another area where Python
can use improvement.

> It's a proposition that used to bother me, until I did some actual
> programming of real world problems in Python. I've yet to really find
> a case where the application was slow enough to justify the cost of
> using multiple Python processes.

Right, that's basically the issue here: the cost of using multiple
Python processes is unnecessarily high.  If that cost were lower then
we could more easily use multiple cores to make oru apps faster.