Will multithreading make python less popular?

Paul Rubin http
Thu Feb 19 18:29:40 EST 2009

Tim Rowe <digitig at gmail.com> writes:
> > I really believe that GIL is a design error.
> It's only an error if it gets in the way. It's the experience of a lot
> of programmers that it doesn't, so it's not an error.

It does get in the way of quite a few of us, but I wouldn't exactly
call it an error.  It was a sensible decision at the time it was made.
Changing technology and changing requirements have turned it into a
problem since then.

A sensible decision later becoming a problem is a fairly normal
occurrence, not just in software but in just about every area of human
endeavor.  The sensible response to the changed landscape is to
recognize the problem and figure out what to do about it.  Denying the
problem's existence is not sensible.