Will multithreading make python less popular?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Feb 20 02:19:14 EST 2009

Steve Holden wrote:

> What Guido doesn't seem to have accepted yet is that slowing [C]Python
> down by 50% on a single-processor CPU will actually be a worthwhile
> tradeoff in ten years time, when nothing will have less than eight cores
> and the big boys will be running at 64 kilo-cores.

Ten years?

There's no guarantee that Python will still even be around in ten years. It
probably will be, I see no reason why it won't, but who knows? Maybe we'll
have mandatory software warranties tailored to suit the Microsofts and
Apples, and Guido and the PSF will be forced to abandon the language.

I think a design mistake would be to hamstring Python now for a hypothetical
benefit in a decade. But, well, in five years time, or three? Don't know.

--
Steven