To unicode or not to unicode

Ross Ridge rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Feb 21 12:22:36 EST 2009

=?UTF-8?B?Ik1hcnRpbiB2LiBMw7Z3aXMi?=  <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>I don't think that was the complaint. Instead, the complaint was
>that the OP's original message did not have a Content-type header,
>and that it was thus impossible to tell what the byte in front of
>"Wiki" meant. To properly post either MICRO SIGN or GREEK SMALL LETTER
>MU in a usenet or email message, you really must use MIME. (As both
>your article and Thorsten's did, by choosing UTF-8)

MIME only applies Internet e-mail messages.  RFC 1036 doesn't require
nor give a meaning to a Content-Type header in a Usenet message, so
there's nothing wrong with the original poster's newsreader.

In any case what the original poster really should do is come up with
a better name for his program

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU