How does one get from "ImportError: DLL load failed:..." to a culprit .dll and symbol?

Chris Cormie ccormie at aussiemail.com.au
Mon Feb 23 07:41:20 EST 2009

> If that not-very-technical description [all I've ever needed] doesn't
> help, you'll need to read the DW help file (HTFF1K) or wait till
> someone who knows what they are doing comes along :-)

LOL, I am that person :p
Your technique works well and it does provide the information and it is
a (roundabout) solution to this class of problems:  thank you very much.
It doesn't answer the original question so I'll restate it:

How do you get *Python* to tell you the dll and the problem symbol? Not
external tools, Python. Python at a low level is calling LoadLibrary and
GetProcAddress to resolve symbols and the call fails. At that point it
has the name of the dll and the problem symbol to hand and yet strangely
only gives an opaque error message. How does one get Python to print out
the faulty DLL and symbol?

(Even if it means a debug build of Python and adding the printf
yourself, I just want to know where we stand on this issue! :) )

Best Regards,
Chris