How does one get from "ImportError: DLL load failed:..." to a culprit .dll and symbol?

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:49:22 EST 2009

On 23/02/2009 11:41 PM, Chris Cormie wrote:

>> If that not-very-technical description [all I've ever needed] doesn't
>> help, you'll need to read the DW help file (HTFF1K) or wait till
>> someone who knows what they are doing comes along :-)
>
> LOL, I am that person :p

LOL sounds right!

> How do you get *Python* to tell you the dll and the problem symbol? Not
> external tools, Python. Python at a low level is calling LoadLibrary and
> GetProcAddress to resolve symbols and the call fails.

It is the LoadLibrary that is failing; it should be obvious that if it
was a simple GetProcAddress that was failing, Python would simply throw
an exception rather than displaying the ugly dialog box you see.

The problem is that some *other* DLL in the chain of dependencies is
failing to load; please re-adjust your perceptions of your own knowledge
and re-read John's initial response - if you follow his instructions
that should all become quite obvious.

Mark