more on unescaping escapes

bvdp bob at mellowood.ca
Mon Feb 23 21:18:28 EST 2009

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> En Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:31:20 -0200, bvdp <bob at mellowood.ca> escribió:
>> Gabriel Genellina wrote:

>>> Why is that? "\x20" is exactly the same as " ". It's not like %20 in
>>> URLs, that becomes a space only after decoding.
>>
>> I need to use the \x20 because of my parser. I'm reading unquoted
>> lines from a file. The file creater needs to use the form "foo\x20bar"
>> without the quotes in the file so my parser can read it as a single
>> token. Later, the string/token needs to be decoded with the \x20
>> converted to a space.
>>
>> So, in my file "foo bar" (no quotes) is read as 2 tokens; "foo\x20bar"
>> is one.
>>
>> So, it's not really a problem of what happens when you assign a string
>> in the form "foo bar", rather how to convert the \x20 in a string to a
>> space. I think the \\ just complicates the entire issue.
>
> Just thinking, if you was reading the string from a file, why were you
> worried about \\ and \ in the first place? (Ok, you moved to use / so
> this is moot now).

Just cruft introduced while I was trying to figure it all out. Having to
figure the \\ and \x20 at same time with file and keyboard input just
confused the entire issue :) Having the user set a line like
c:\\Program\x20File ... works just fine. I'll suggest he use
c:/program\x20files to make it bit simple for HIM, not my parser.
Unfortunately, due to some bad design decisions on my part about 5 years
ago I'm afraid I'm stuck with the \x20.

Thanks.