XML Parsing

Paul McGuire ptmcg at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 25 09:04:23 EST 2009

On Feb 25, 1:17 am, hrishy <hris... at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Something like this

<snip solution using ElementTree>

> Note i am not a python programmer just a enthusiast and i was curious why people on the list didnt suggest a code like above

You just beat the rest of us to it - good example of ElementTree for
parsing XML (and I Iearned the '//' shortcut for one or more
intervening tag levels).

To the OP: if you are parsing XML, I would look hard at the modules
(esp. ElementTree) that are written explicitly for XML, before
considering using regular expressions.  There are just too many
potential surprises when trying to match XML tags - presence/absence/
order of attributes, namespaces, whitespace inside tags, to name a
few.

-- Paul