Multiple conditional expression

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Fri Feb 27 00:11:28 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Anjanesh Lekshminarayanan
<mail at anjanesh.net> wrote:
>> How do we know that from the what the OP posted?
> Its CGI alright.
> spaces = form.has_key('spaces') and form.getvalue('spaces') == '1'
>
> But I just dont see how
> spaces = (form.has_key('spaces') ? form.getvalue('spaces') == 1 ?
> True: False : False)
> is complicated in anyway. Its not that hard to read at all.

You have /nested/ /ternary/ expressions /without/ any disambiguating
parentheses. And you unnecessarily use boolean constants. The latter
and the stuff in italics is what makes your code hard to understand.

As I showed, you can write the *exact same thing* without using
ternary expressions at all (win!), much less nested ones, and without
any boolean constants.
And it's even 16 characters shorter.

Cheers,
Chris