Using xreadlines

Roy H. Han starsareblueandfaraway at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:03:38 EST 2009

Brett,

I'm not sure what exactly you're trying to do, but you can keep track
of line numbers using itertools.

import itertools
for lineIndex, line in itertools.izip(itertools.count(1), open('text.txt')):
    print lineIndex, line

Here is sample code for breaking on a word and returning the previous line

def breakOnWord(filePath, word):
    previousLine = ''
    for line in open(filePath):
        if word in line: