Python package Management GUI - New Project on Sourceforge

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Sun Feb 1 23:47:29 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM, David Lyon <david.lyon at preisshare.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am pleased to announce that we have started a new python
> project on sourceforge.
>
>  Python Package Manager
>  pythonpkgmgr.sourceforge.net
>
> The goal is to provide a cross platform GUI tool that will
> vastly simplify loading and installing packages under python.
>
>  - written in python
>  - use WXWidgets for cross compatability
>  - utilises distutils
>  - provide a GUI wrapper for EasyInstall and pip
>  - fetches packages from http://pypi.python.org/pypi
>   using their XML-RPC interface.
>
> Feel free to apply to join the project and help us build the solution that
> we all need and deserve.
>
> Regards David Lyon

What's wrong with Enstaller from Enthought ?

Can I make a few suggestions ?

To be truly cross platform, consider
using the Tcl/Tk toolkit rather tahn
wxWindows. Why ? Because Tcl/TK
is packaged and provided along with
most Python distributions.

Also, to reduce the amount of work
you as developers need to do and to
aid in the "code reuse" philosophy,
I would not simply have wrappers around
easy_install and pip, I would integrate
as best as you can into these libraries
without trying to add or rewrite too much.

Also, consider integrating with yolk
as well, as it provides some food features
and functionality that easy_install and pip
don't provide.

cheers
James