A little bit else I would like to discuss

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Fri Feb 13 00:04:04 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Damon <damonwischik at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 8:15 pm, Philip Semanchuk wrote:
> > Let me know when Visual Studio tries to address building GUIs for
> > Windows, OS X, Gnome, and KDE. Until then, you're comparing apples to
> > oranges, or chalk and cheese if you're from that part of the world.
>
> Right now.
>
> Use Visual Studio to program a .net application using Windows Forms.
> Run it in Mono on Windows, or OS X, or Linux. You can even do it with
> IronPython. Or, if you prefer a native look on each application, do it
> with wx.net. The great thing about IronPython in .net is that you can
> just link in any other .net library in whatever language it's written
> in, without needing any sort of wrapper.

Windows.Forms isn't native in OS X or Linux though. To get a native look,
you need to use the Cocoa and GTK C-sharp bindings, which means you're not
using Visual Studio. wx is actually a wrapper around the native components,
so it will look nice on every platform that supports it (well, except KDE
because of the Qt license issue).