Python 3D CAD -- need collaborators, or just brave souls :)

Josh Dukes josh.dukes at microvu.com
Wed Feb 18 15:27:04 EST 2009

You might also want to look in to open cascade. It supports a bunch of
standard 3d model formats (stl, iges, step) and has python bindings.
Salome is based on open cascade. http://www.pythonocc.org/ However, I'm
not entirely clear on the license for this so that might be an issue. I
know the Debian lawyers had some problems with Salome because it
compiled against open cascade. I believe if you made open cascade an
optional run-time dependency it could still be a valid gpl app.

It's also important to keep in mind that what most people think of as
cad/cam is really multiple things that can be broken up into modules
(cad/cam/fea). Those can also be broken up into modules (fea can be
broken into meshing, pre-processing, analysis, and post-processing). It
seems like attacking things this way might be best. If you're really
serious about this (there are lots of failed Linux cad packages) I'd
suggest setting up a project on sourceforge and get a mailing list.
Post a link to the mailing list and I'll join. I can probably find some
other mailing lists that you should try to recruit from, but having a
sourceforge page and a mailing list really helps your legitimacy.

Another interesting project is FreeCAD, which is written in C++ but
compiled against python,
http://juergen-riegel.net/FreeCAD/Docu/index.php?title=Main_Page might
be worth looking at.

I look forward to joining your mailing list.

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:02:22 -0800 (PST)
r <rt8396 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Josh,
> Blender is a lost cause. It is a powerful app but the UI is horrible.
> Even the Blender folks admit only a complete rewrite could solve the
> major flaws that plague the design. So maybe i could salvage some code
> but for what i have in mind, Blender will look like a piece of
> software from the middle ages. And i am absolutly only looking to do
> this in 3D, 2D is boring.
>
> So, yes, i have looked at both the applications you offer.
>
> Thanks
> --

Josh Dukes
MicroVu IT Department