Porting to new Python version

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 09:32:04 EST 2009

On Feb 19, 1:50 pm, Gabor Urban <urbang... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a tough issue: we are using a Python application written quite
> a time ago for version 2.4. The code is mature, and there are no bugs.
>  My bosses came up with the idea to port it to the latest release... I
> am not really convinced that it's a good step.
>
> I wellcome any information pro and contra. I would like to get the
> background as precisely as possible.
>
> Thanks in advance and good day to You!
>
> Gabor

I am a fan of smooth upgrades. Just move to Python 2.5 and you should
have little troubles.
You can wait one year or so for Python 2.6. As a rule of thumb, I
think it is safe to upgrade to a newer Python versions after one year
from its first release, to give time to third party packages. There
are of course exceptions. For instance I remember Zope being far
behind Python releases. I have currently a Zope application running in
Python 2.4 that I cannot upgrade. It all depends from your external
dependencies. If you do not have any, and you do not anticipate the
need for any, you can probably upgrade to Python 2.6 with no effort.

 Michele Simionato