Keeping the Console Open with IDLE

David Smith dns4 at cornell.edu
Fri Feb 20 08:14:34 EST 2009

W. eWatson wrote:
> Matimus wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 8:06 pm, "W. eWatson" <notval... at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>> I'm using IDLE for editing, but execute programs directly. If there are
>>> execution or "compile" errors, the console closes before I can see
>>> what it
>>> contains. How do I prevent that?
>>> --
>>>                                 W. eWatson
>>>
>>>               (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
>>>                Obz Site:  39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
>>>
>>>                      Web Page: <www.speckledwithstars.net/>
>>
>> Open a console window and type in the name of the script rather than
>> just double clicking on it. Or, you can terminate your script with a
>> 'raw_input("press enter to quit")'.
>>
>> Matt
> I can open the Python command line from Start, but how do I navigate to
> the folder where the program is?

I'm not sure whether I should feel old or write a smart alec comment --
I suppose there are people in the world who don't know what to do with a
command prompt....

Assuming a Windows system:

2. Type 'cd ' (as in Change Directory) in the command prompt window (w/o
the single quote characters)
3. Drag/drop the folder containing your python script to your command
prompt window
4. Hit enter in your command prompt window.
5. Type python my_script_name.py to execute my_script_name.py.

--David