Using xreadlines

Fri Feb 27 12:20:19 EST 2009

(1) Please do not top post in comp.lang.python, it violates conventions.

Brett Hedges (should have written):
 > bearophile wrote: ...
>> You can also keep track of the absolute position of the lines in the file, etc, or step
 >> back looking for newlines, etc, but it's not handy....
>
> How would I keep track of the absolute position of the lines?
 > I have tried to use the files.seek() command with the files.tell()
 > command and it does not seem to work. The files.tell() command seems
 >  to give me a number but when I use the files.next() command with
 > xreadlines it does not change the line number the next time I use
 > files.tell().

The answer to your question depends on what version of Python you are
running.  Give python version and platform to any question when you
don't _know_ they are irrelevant.

If you want an answer without any other input, try this:

The simplest way to solve this for the moment is (re)defining
xreadlines:

     def xreadlines(source):
         for line in iter(src.readline, ''):
             yield line