Creating an application for Linux

alex goretoy aleksandr.goretoy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 04:04:15 EST 2009

I found a great video on how to do this last night. I wasn't even looking
for it. Check it out. It's really good. Makes me want to start making videos
as well. Thanks.

Ubuntu: Making a .deb package out of a python program (English) tutorial
video - Ubuntu: Making a .deb package out of a python program (English) -
Learn: python, deb, deb_package, publishing, package, english, ubuntu,
linux<http://www.showmedo.com/videos/video?name=linuxJensMakingDeb&fromSeriesID=37>

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:54 PM, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 31, 3:36 pm, lkcl <luke.leigh... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > hiya mike: where do i know you from?  i've heard your name somewhere
> > and for the life of me can't remember where!  anyway... onwards.
> >

> I don't know...while your username looks vaguely familiar, I don't
> think I've communicated with you recently. I spend most of my time on
> the wxPython list now...
>

> > your simplest bet is to take advantage of the .deb install system,
> > which, if you follow that, will allow you to pull in all of the
> > dependencies _without_ screwing around with the ubuntu distribution,
> > or requiring that you build "special" versions of the dependencies.
> >
> > so - your first port of call is to locate a similar app to your own
> > one:
> >
> > apt-cache  search wxwidgets
> > [rose-tinted filter on the results...]
> > cryptonit - A client side PKI (X.509) cryptographic tool
> > fontypython - A GUI tool to manage ttf fonts
> > jmdlx - jugglemaster deluxe using wxWidgets
> > wxmaxima - a wxWidgets GUI for the computer algebra system maxima
> > multiget - graphical download manager
> >
> > then, do apt-cache show <packagename>, paying particular attention to
> > the dependencies.  apt-cache show fontypython looks like a good
> > candidate.
> >
> > so, do apt-get source fontypython (or other candidate)
> >
> > also do apt-get build-essential dh-make dpkg-dev debutils python-dev
> > devscripts python-setuptools juuust for fun, but the essential ones
> > are probably dh-make and dpkg-dev.
> >
> > then you have something to work from (an example - the source of the
> > deb-wrapped fontypython) and you will have most of the debian
> > developer utils etc. etc.
> >
> > _then_ you go to e.g. oooo this:
> http://www.pythonmark.com/python-library/debian/howto-build-a-debian-...
> > the preamble for which says "don't bother with that annoying ubuntu
> > python deb howto video, particularly on the basis that who gives a
> > stuff about _verbal_ instructions when you actually want stuff you can
> > READ!"
> >
> > :)
> >
> > the most important thing that _you_ need to remember is that you
> > _must_ identify the correct libraries (and their debian packagenames -
> > can't bring myself to say ubuntu packagenames) and make damn sure that
> > you add them into the dependencies in the debian/control file.
> >
> > do _not_ be tempted to "bundle" customised versions of python-
> > pysqlite, python-sqlalchemy etc. etc.
> >
> > testing: you should really use a debootstrap absolute "basic"
> > environment (set up a chroot, or a virtual KVM or other virtual PC,
> > qemu, whatever, or even a real machine) do NOT do a "full" install of
> > ubuntu, do an absolute minimalist install (netbook, businesscard,
> > whatever).
>

> I thought the general practice was to test on the closest software/
> hardware combo that your application was most likely to run on. I have
> heard of doing testing on the lowest common denominator before though.
> [...]

А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я