initialization in python

koranthala at gmail.com koranthala at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 10:35:11 EST 2009

On Jan 1, 6:54 pm, John Machin <sjmac... at lexicon.net> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 11:44 pm, koranth... at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > How does an average product handle initialization in python?
> > I am facing lot of issues in handling initialization, especially if I
> > import specific variables, due to the variables not getting updated.
>
> > For example - taking a sqlalchemy based product:
> > Module database:
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Session = None
>
> > def init(dbname):
> >    engine = create_engine('sqlite:///%s' %dbname)
> >    global Session
> >    Session = sessionmaker(bind=engine)
>
> > In entry module to the application (APPENTRY):
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > import A, B, C, D  <---- Please note, very important
> > database.init('testdb.db')
>
> > Now in user module A:
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > from database import Session
> > print Session
> > --->This will print None, because at APPENTRY, during importing A
> > itself, Session is stored.
>
> This is happening when you import A, which happens *before* you call
> database.init(). database.init binds the name database.Session to a
> new value. The name A.Session has been bound earlier to the value
> None.
>
> > I have to call database.Session to get the values.
>
> I don't understand that sentence. Is database.Session callable (i.e.
> is a function or class)? What valueS (plural)?
>
> > Why is the variable not getting updated?
>
> Firstly, it's not a "variable" in the sense of a named slice of memory
> to which various values can be assigned.
>
> Secondly, it could be updated only if the "from database import
> Session" operated like it was creating an alias e.g.
>     A.Session isanaliasof database.Session
> like a C macro
>     #define A_Session database_Session
> but it isn't; its effect is that of a fancy "assignment", more or less
> like:
>     import database
>     Session = database.Session
>     del database
>
> In any case, mucking about with module globals like you are trying to
> do is not a good idea. As you have seen, it introduces dependencies
> like you need to import A after the database is initiated. As soon as
> you need more than one session at a time, or the single session needs
> to be closed and restarted, it really falls apart. Try passing your
> session around as a function arg, or as an attribute of an object that
> contains current state information.
>
> HTH,
> John

> This is happening when you import A, which happens *before* you call
> database.init(). database.init binds the name database.Session to a
> new value. The name A.Session has been bound earlier to the value
> None.

I guessed as much. But, I was under the impression that if the
original value is modified, the variables value also will change.

> I don't understand that sentence. Is database.Session callable (i.e.
> is a function or class)? What valueS (plural)?

Session() here is a session manager in SQLAlchemy. database.Session()
creates a new session.

>     import database
>     Session = database.Session
>     del database

Thank you. This answers my query.

> In any case, mucking about with module globals like you are trying to
> do is not a good idea. As you have seen, it introduces dependencies

I avoid global variables as much as possible. But SQLAlchemy tutorial
recommends this method of assignment. So, I was using this. Anyways, I
now use database.Session always, and these dependencies are no longer
there.