If your were going to program a game...

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 16:18:40 EST 2009

On Jan 1, 8:55 pm, "Chris Rebert" <c... at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM, excord80 <excor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 1, 2:37 pm, Kay Schluehr <kay.schlu... at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> >> There is no solution to this problem from a Python perspective. Do
> >> what everyone does right now: [snip]
>
> > It still surprises me that no one has implemented the solution for
> > this yet.
>
> > Maybe it's harder than it seems, but it *seeems* like it's just a
> > matter of telling Firefox, "hey, when you see this special html
> > element that tells you to run this python code from the web, do it".
> > Then have FF load up a python interpreter, sandbox it somehow (that
> > is, limit it to only a safe subset of its std lib), it runs the code
>
> The "sandbox it somehow" part is significantly harder than you seem to
> believe it would be. Python tried previously with the rexec and
> Bastion modules, but they were found to be irreparably flawed and thus
> were removed.
> However, Google App Engine seems to have found at least a partial
> solution, but they're keeping it to themselves as far as I know, and
> it's server-side rather than client-side anyway.

PyPy allows *true* sandboxing, as does IronPython through AppDomains.
I wouldn't recommend either for 'in the browser' use though.

You can do client side programming in the browser with Silverlight.
It's great fun to program, and very flexible, but limited to Safari,
IE & Firefox on Mac and Windows. Moonlight is making good progress
which will bring Silverlight to Firefox on Linux - and eventually more
browsers and platforms.

Michael Foord
--
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/