why cannot assign to function call

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Sat Jan 3 10:08:54 EST 2009

Derek Martin a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:05:51PM +0100, Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>>> Python seems rather weird, and I think from the frequency
>>> with which these discussions occur on this list, clearly it *IS*
>>> difficult for a neophyte Python programmer to understand the
>>> assignment model.
>> Took me about half an hour to grasp, not even being "CS grad" (nor
>> whathever "grad" FWIW). By that time, I had a couple monthes working
>> experience with VB, and had learned (but never seriously used) bits of
>> C, C++, Java and Pascal.
>
> It took me about a half a second to grasp the "named bins" concept --

Oh yes ? With all it's implications ? Fine, you're way smarter than I'm
- or, as it seems, you were much more experimented and CS-litterate that
I was by that time.

But that was not the point. What I meant is that a concept that takes
less than an hour to grasp for a newbie self-taught programmer with no
previous exposure to the concept should by no mean be a problem for a CS
graduate.