How to "kill" orphaned threads at program exit

BlueBird phil at freehackers.org
Mon Jan 5 06:05:32 EST 2009

On Dec 28 2008, 6:33 pm, "Giampaolo Rodola'" <gne... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that it's not possible to "kill" threads but I'm wondering if
> does exist some workaround for my problem.
> I have a test suite which does a massive usage of threads.
> Sometimes happens that one test fails, the test suite keeps running
> until the end, and when it's finished the program hangs on and the
> only way to stop is to kill it manually.
> I noticed that, at the end of the program, I can call
> threading.enumerate() and see the pending thread objects:

Hi,

The way I handle it is to make sure that after each test, the thread
count has returned to what I expect.

It is possible to kill a thread if it's not blocked on a system call.
It's highly unrecommended for standard usage but your use case exactly
the one where the ability to kill a thread is very useful.

I use the following code, which I borrowed to the Python Cook book
somewhere:

def _async_raise(tid, exctype):
    '''Raises an exception in the threads with id tid'''
    if not inspect.isclass(exctype):
        raise TypeError("Only types can be raised (not instances)")
    res = ctypes.pythonapi.PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc(tid,
ctypes.py_object(exctype))
    if res == 0:
        raise ValueError("invalid thread id")
    elif res != 1:
        # """if it returns a number greater than one, you're in
trouble,
        # and you should call it again with exc=NULL to revert the
effect"""
        ctypes.pythonapi.PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc(tid, 0)
        raise SystemError("PyThreadState_SetAsyncExc failed")

class ThreadWithExc(threading.Thread):
    '''A thread class that supports raising exception in the thread
from another thread.
    '''
    def _get_my_tid(self):
        """determines this (self's) thread id

        CAREFUL : this function is executed in the context of the
caller thread,
        to get the identity of the thread represented by this
instance.
        """
        if not self.isAlive():
            raise threading.ThreadError("the thread is not active")

        # do we have it cached?
        if hasattr(self, "_thread_id"):
            return self._thread_id

        # no, look for it in the _active dict
        for tid, tobj in threading._active.items():
            if tobj is self:
                self._thread_id = tid
                return tid

        # TODO : in python 2.6, there's a simpler way to do :
self.ident ...

        raise AssertionError("could not determine the thread's id")

    def raiseExc(self, exctype):
        """Raises the given exception type in the context of this
thread.

        If the thread is busy in a system call (time.sleep(),
socket.accept(), ...) the exception
        is simply ignored.

        If you are sure that your exception should terminate the
thread, one way to ensure that
        it works is:
        t = ThreadWithExc( ... )
        t.raiseExc( SomeException )
        while t.isAlive():
            time.sleep( 0.1 )
            t.raiseExc( SomeException )

        If the exception is to be caught by the thread, you need a way
to check that your
        thread has caught it.

        CAREFUL : this function is executed in the context of the
caller thread,
        to raise an excpetion in the context of the thread represented
by this instance.
        """
        _async_raise( self._get_my_tid(), exctype )

   cheers,

   Philippe