greenlets and how they can be used

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Mon Jan 5 17:30:46 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 4:39 AM, Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon at gmx.net> wrote:
> James Mills wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon at gmx.net> wrote:
>>> POE was one of the nicest software frameworks I have ever used, and I've been continuously frustrated by the lack of something like it in other languages such as Python or Ruby.
>>
>> It does exist :) It's called circuits.
>> Or at least circuits is a framework that I develop
>> and build which sounds very similar to POE in
>> some ways :)

(snip)
> Then, one very sad day, a Gentoo upgrade broke POE. I got it working again a few months later, but by then I had somehow lost interest in Perl and discovered the beauty of Python, where my search for an appropriate replacement was frustrated (Twisted seemed to be the closest equivalent, but it seemed overly complex to me, at least I never got the hang of it...).

It would seem to me that circuits is quite similar
to POE - I've never really used or played with Perl though
and probably will never :)

> Or, to put it briefly, I would really like to take a look at that sometime. If you intend to release it in any form, I would like to hear about it.

Currently released: circuits-1.0b1

See: http://trac.softcircuit.com.au/circuits/

> Oh. I see, it already IS available. How nice!!! That is going to be an interesting evening!
> Oh, and thank you very much for bringing this to my attention!!!

Your very welcome ... circuits is by no means a replacement
or competitor to Twisted - it has very different design goals
and architecture (nicer/simpler ihmo). That said though anything
that Twisted  can do, circuits can do - I've deliberately tried to
keep the Component Library as simple and straight forward
as possible.

Happy hacking!

cheers
James