python is great

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 15:13:56 EST 2009

On Jan 6, 11:36 am, Joe Strout <j... at strout.net> wrote:
> I've actually been rather frustrated by Python lately.  It's great at
> some things, but rather poor at others.  In the latter category is
> building a neatly packaged executable that can be shipped to users and
> run reliably on their machine.  On the Mac in particular, if you want
> your app to run on any PowerPC or Intel machine runing 10.4 or later,
> and you're using anything not in the standard framework (such as
> MySQLdb), it's a bit of a nightmare.
>
> Compare this to, say, REALbasic, where you just check "Mac OS X
> Universal" in the Build Settings, click Build, and you're done.  (RB has
> its own issues, of course.)
>
> So I would say that Python as a language is great, and its standard
> framework is great.  But its (many) IDEs are pretty poor, and the
> process of building a polished, packaged app is abysmal.  And there are
> some things (such as Flash-style web applets) that you still can't do at
> all in Python, even after all these years.
>
> But of course, the nice thing about an open-source environment is that,
> with enough motivation, time, and expertise, one can fix the most
> annoying limitations oneself.  And if I stick with Python over the
> upcoming years, I'll certainly do my part.
>
> Best,
> - Joe

Joe,
At post.readlines()[:1] i was quite angry, but from [2:] i started
agreeing very much with you. I very much love the python programming
language(and everyone here knows that) but app packaging is dismal in
python. And many improvements need to be made to IDLE. You make some
very good points and hopefully i will be able to give my time shortly
to help fix some of these deficiencies.

PS: Whoever rated the OP with one star needs to hang out somewhere
else!