Oh! The people of all over the world!

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Wed Jan 7 05:25:31 EST 2009

Obaid R. wrote:
> So an illegal occupation is NOT a provocation but fighting the
> occupation IS? By which scales do you judge?
>
> I would argue that a person following such backwards logic and who
> sees these pictures[1] and STILL claims that showing sympathy is
> difficult has a serious problem. After all the logic is simple: for
> every action (read occupation) there is a reaction (read resistance)
> equal to it in force and opposite to it in direction.
>
> You can of course argue that the reaction is the cause of the action,
> but that is clearly illogical and proves your iniquity in this matter
> and your bias against the victim. It might take a humanitarian
> catastrophe of sizable proportions and a biased person would still not
> feel any sympathy. Not that there is no catastrophe, but rather
> because bias is by nature practiced in spite of good reason and
> available evidence, not because of it.

I'm much more apt to listen now that you aren't invoking references to
religion at every sentence. If Israel is guilty of inhumanity, then it
is more appropriate to appeal to one's humanity.

By the way, its obvious to most rational people that the Israeli
reaction is overwrought and likely morally unjust--but I can't stand
antisemitism just like I can't stand hatred of Islam just like I can't
stand hatred of Christians.

James

--
James Stroud