Printed Documentation

floob floob.spam at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 17:14:31 EST 2009

On Jan 7, 1:39 pm, excord80 <excor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 4:00 pm, floob <floob.s... at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
> > documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses).  I don't
> > really care if it's printed on newspaper and bound with elmer's
> > glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_
> > in print form will do.
>
> > I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD
> > screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution).  Until eBook
> > readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation
> > that I REALLY need to read and absorb.
>
> > Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost something around $100 US
> > before shipping to get everything printed.  Also, I would have to
> > split up some larger documents into Volumes, which I'd rather not have
> > to do.
>
> > Has anyone tried this before?  Is the documentation already available
> > in print?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > drfloob
>
> http://docs.python.org/download.html
>
> I'd try taking the pdf to my local print shop and ask how much they'd
> charge.
>
> Local print shops have options for various bindings too.

I tried 7 print shops in my area.  Five refused to print single-run
books (minimum quantity of 100).  Of the 2 that WOULD print a single
set of books, the cheapest was $250.00 (spiral bound, no covers, 8.5"
x 11", cheapest paper available).  That quote included roughly: the
tutorial, library, reference, distutils, extending, and c-api pdfs.

For that price, I could buy an eBook reader with plans to throw it
away when I was done!

Off on a bit of a tangent:
if the Python Software Foundation could strike a deal with a
charitable printing company, users could probably get a slight
discount on buying printed documentation, and I'd bet Python's
organization could get a small percentage of each sale.  I believe
ubuntu is doing something like this with Lulu.com.  It'd be nice to
support Python while doing something I was going to do on my own,
anyhow.