Distutils, bdist_XXX, rpmbuild issues

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Thu Jan 8 03:52:50 CET 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> Gerry Reno <greno at verizon.net> writes:
>> We have an application, foo-5.0.0, and we want to put out some
>> pre-release candidates for testing, so we set the version to
>> "5.0.0_rc1" in setup.py.
> That's where your problems start (as you no doubt surmised). If you
> want version numbers to compare in a certain order, you should name
> them so that the version string will trivially compare in that order.
In many instances we don't get to make that decision when we join
projects already in motion.  Otherwise, I would not have bothered to
post the problem to the list.  The fact is that many applications use
version string constructs such as I illustrated, "5.0.0_rc1" when they
create their release candidates.  And yes, the final release, "5.0.0",
is not lexically superior.  But, as much as I might like that everyone
would not do this, I cannot change the whole world which has developed a
habit of such things.  So I am looking for a solution that works with
the world as it is.