Multiprocessing takes higher execution time

Sibtey Mehdi sibteym at
Thu Jan 8 06:18:10 CET 2009

Please see the code I have send in attachment.
Any suggestions will highly appreciate.

Thanks and Regards,
-----Original Message-----
From: Grant Edwards [mailto:invalid at invalid]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2009 8:58 PM
To: python-list at
Subject: Re: Multiprocessing takes higher execution time

On 2009-01-07, Steve Holden <steve at> wrote:

>> I use multiprocessing to compare more then one set of files.
>> For comparison each set of files (i.e. Old file1 Vs New file1)
>> I create a process,
>> Process(target=compare, args=(oldFile, newFile)).start()
>> It takes 61 seconds execution time.
>> When I do the same comparison without implementing
>> multiprocessing, it takes 52 seconds execution time.

> My first suggestion would be: show us some code. We aren't
> psychic, you know.

I am!

He's only got one processor, and he's just been bit by Amdahl's
law when P<1 and S<1.

There you have a perfectly "psychic" answer: an educated guess
camoflaged in plausible-sounding but mostly-bullshit buzzwords.
A better psychic would have avoided making that one falsifiable
statement (he's only got one processor).

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Hello.  Just walk
                                  at               along and try NOT to
                                 about your INTESTINES
                                                   almost FORTY YARDS LONG!!