[Python-Dev] compiling python2.5 on linux under wine

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Jan 8 09:02:01 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:11 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Simon Cross
> <hodgestar+pythondev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
>> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>>> secondly, i want a python25.lib which i can use to cross-compile
>>> modules for poor windows users _despite_ sticking to my principles and
>>> keeping my integrity as a free software developer.
>>
>> If this eventually leads to being able to compile Python software for
>> Windows under Wine (using for example, py2exe) it would make my life a
>> lot easier.
>
> You can already do that: just install windows python under wine.

 i tried that a few months ago - the builder requires the MS
installer, which segfaulted on my installation of wine (i installed it
using winetricks) which left me flummoxed because other people report
successful use of MSI.

 i also don't want "just" the python.exe, i want the libpython25.a, i
want the libpython25.lib, so as to be able to build libraries such as
pywekbit-gtk for win32 (cross-compiled using winegcc of course)

 unpacking the python installer .exe (which was, again, created with a
proprietary program) i found that all of the contents were
name-mangled and so were useless: i wasn't about to work my way
through nearly a hundred files, manually, when i can just as well get
python compiling under wine once and then stand a good chance of being
able to repeat the exercise in the future, also for python 2.6.

 so, basically, i really don't want to use visual studio, i really
don't want to install a proprietary MSI installer, i really don't want
a proprietarily-built python25.exe, and i really don't want a
proprietarily-packed installation.

 i'd just ... much rather be completely independent of proprietary
software when it comes to building free software.

 .... onwards.... :)