why cannot assign to function call

Dan Esch daniel.a.esch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 09:57:16 EST 2009

Absolutely.

Trivially and at a high level,

teaching python to kids who are learning programming as introductory
material

teaching python to motivated college graduate students
teaching python to adult non-professional programmers with a need to learn
python (like for instance, frustrated accountants who have HAD IT with
VBA...)

The difference between the last 2 is important.  I am not now nor will I
ever be a professional programmer; there's a depth of knowledge to the
subject that I will not ever systematically study (mostly due to time
constraints).  On the other hand, the problems I want and need to solve, I
want to get right and will put in the effort to learn what I need to get it
right.  Contrast the college student.  He's getting a broad and hopefully
deep grounding in more CS theory than I have.  How much does he care?  Well,
the beer bash Friday at 4 probably has a higher priority in his life right
now, not unreasonably.

So you can explain things to me fairly technically (I've done lots of VBA
programming, hated it, and am motivated in self-study in python), but not
too abstractly, because I don't have a deep ground in the theory behind CS
and programming. (What I know of grammar parsing comes via some linguistics
work I did in college, not Backus-Naur Form, although Noam chomsky was
important in both fields)

In contrast, the CS student should get a generalized explanation because he
needs to grow the skills to work it out on his own, and because the
generalized and theoretically grounded explanation is more useful for him in
extrapolating to other areas.  If he can't do more with it than i can, he
needs to change majors.