Replying to list messages

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Thu Jan 8 13:42:13 EST 2009

Ben Finney wrote:
> Paul McNett <p at ulmcnett.com> writes:
>> But arguing about this here isn't going to change anything: opinions
>> differ just like tabs/spaces and bottom-post/top-post.
>
> In cases like this, one side can simply be wrong :-)
>
> Best of luck getting your programs behaving as you want them to!

BTW, I agree with you that in an ideal, pure world mailing lists wouldn't munge the
reply-to field, but when 80% of the people use email clients that don't support
reply-list, the practical thing to do as a list admin that wants to avoid having to
explain over and over again that "your client software is broken" is to simply
swallow some pride and munge the reply-to. Now, 99% of the users are happy, and the
remaining 1% are elite enough to understand how to get around any problems this
caused. Happy is good.

Paul