Problem with -3 switch

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 14:58:21 EST 2009

On Jan 9, 12:36 pm, "J. Cliff Dyer" <j... at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> > > I see.
> > > So i gotta keep my own discipline with print() then :)
>
> > Only if you don't want to run your 2.x code through 2to3 before you use
> > it as Python 3.x code.
>
> > regards
> >  Steve
>
> And mind you, if you follow that route, you are programming in a
> mightily crippled language.

How do you figure?

I expect that it'd be a PITA in some cases to use the transitional
dialect (like getting all your Us in place), but that doesn't mean the
language is crippled.

> It's about as bad as trying to write
> cross-browser CSS.  Don't put yourself through that pain if you don't
> have to.

Have you tried doing that, or are you imagining how it will be?  I'm
curious about people's actual experiences.

Problem is, a lot of people use the "bang at it with a hammer till it
works" approach to programming, and really have no shame when it comes
to engaging in questionable practices like relying on accidental side
effects, rather than taking the time to try to program robustly.  I
expect people with that style of programming will have many more
issues with the transition.

Carl Banks