spawning pyhon apps...

Jason Scheirer jason.scheirer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 18:59:24 EST 2009

On Jan 9, 3:43 pm, "bruce" <bedoug... at earthlink.net> wrote:
> hi jason....
>
> forgive me... but in your sample:
>         my_popenobjects = [subprocess.Popen("foo.py", "--filename=file
>         %i.txt"%x) for x in xrange(10)]
> are you spawning 'foo.py' 10 times? that can't be right!
> so just what is "foo.py" used for? what am i missing...
>
> it looks like the my_popenobjects array is iterated through to check the
> statuscode. is the statuscode the value that would be returned from a child
> python script via something like "return(2)"....
>
> i've seen mention of os.waitpid(..) does this play into waiting for child
> processes to complete, or determine if they've terminated??
>
> thanks

Correction: statuscode is wrong. It's returncode.

Foo.py is the hypothetical Python script you want to run in a
subprocess. In this example, I have an external shell script named
foo.py, and I am indeed spawning 10 copies of it, each with a second
argument that varies (foo.py --filename=file0.txt, foo.py --
filename=file1.txt, ... foo.py --filename=file9.txt). You don't need
os.waitpid() with a Popen object, there is a Popen.wait() method you
can call which will accomplish the exact same thing. I'm polling the
Popen.returncode for each process' return code (which is the numeric
code a process returns when it finishes, like sys.exit(x) or return,
or gives None if it's not done yet. What this sample is doing is
opening 10 copies of the script and running them in parallel, if you
want to run it is serial then you can do a simple for loop and .wait()
on each:

for cmd in ('a', 'b', 'c'):
  sp = subprocess.Popen(cmd)
  sp.wait()
  print "Command %r completed with status %i" % (cmd, sp.returncode)

I'm still not 100% sure what you're trying to accomplish. What is the
exact problem you are wishing to solve?