are there some special about '\x1a' symbol

sim.sim Maksim.Kasimov at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:45:53 EST 2009

Hi all!

I had touch with some different python behavior: I was tried to write
into a file a string with the '\x1a' symbol, and for FreeBSD system,
it gives expected result:

>>> open("test", "w").write('before\x1aafter')
>>> open('test').read()
'before\x1aafter'

but for my WinXP box, it gives some strange:

>>> open("test", "w").write('before\x1aafter')
>>> open('test').read()
'before'

Here I can write all symbols, but not read.
I've tested it with python 2.6, 2.5 and 2.2 and WinXP SP2.

Why is it so and is it possible to fix it?

--
Maksim